Monday 27 August 2012

Deer, Mist, Chocolate Brownies & Custard


There is a real sense of camaraderie in a large walking group and I really enjoyed the Great Gable walk in July.  The second Twitter walk I went on (arranged once again by the social butterfly Gina) was made up of 15 people and two dogs (Hollie and Lassie) and a large supply of Gina’s legendary chocolate brownies.  We started from the tiny hamlet of Hartsop, which means “Valley of the Deer” (which I have written about before) and as I pulled into the car-park at 8.15 there was already a small crowd gathering for the walk.  The crowd got larger and at one point an individual looking for some solitude in the early morning arrived in the car-park and was shocked that it was virtually full and there was a crowd of people chatting and laughing in the corner!  

Hayeswater Gill
The mist was hanging in the valley casting eerie shadows all around.  My first thought as we set off was that if there were 15 people then surely I would not be the slowest this time!  Hurrah!  I started off at the front with Gina as we marched along the path towards Hayeswater and we were making great progress.  Then we hit a steep section and I dropped back to the middle of the group.  At the gate at the top of the steep bit I took the opportunity for a “view stop” and found myself at the back of the group again.  Situation normal!  Alan and Phil kept me company and it was the first time I had met Alan so it was nice chatting all the way to Hayeswater and admiring the Gill. 

Hayeswater Dam
Hayeswater is a reservoir and is surrounded by moraines (little hilly mounds left by glaciers in the last ice age as they retreated) and it looked really mysterious with the mist surrounding it and the fells above peering out of the cloud.  

Hayeswater (Moraines on the right)
Our first fell was The Knott and we started making our way up the grassy ascent (various comments were passed about the fact that “Fix the Fells” needed to add this to their list of paths to repair as it was not in very good shape – I made a mental note!)  As the slope flattened out, I was in the group at the back and we took a view stop (which by then had become known as “Tanya stops”...which I will not comment on) and as we chatted, we saw in the distance through the mist a group of beautiful red deer gathered on the fell side swathed in sunshine.  It was a beautiful sight and the first time I have seen deer on the fells.  At last!  It was really magical watching them as they stood in majesty and looked back at us.  There are advantages to being slow and we called to the group ahead of us to point them out.  We were all mesmerised. 

Red Deer
The Knott summit was only a short climb from there and Dave took on the role of waiting for me.  From the summit we had our first high level glimpse of Hayeswater even though there was still mist around and to the surrounding fells.  Our next stop was Rampsgill Head so off we set again.  The route started on a good path and it was only a stroll but to get to the summit we had to leave the path and head over the grass and marsh.  My “Fix the Fells” instinct emerged then as I could not stop the words “fan out!” escaping my lips to minimise our impact on the landscape.  Fortunately everyone tolerates my obsession (although jokes about building cairns are frequent!)

We had all fallen into group chatting and were all following each other so when we arrived at a cairn, no one was quite certain whether we were actually on the summit.  After we had looked at about three maps and three phone apps, I got out my Garmin GPS (which tells you exactly where you are and is essential walking equipment for me) and confirmed this was indeed the summit.  Hurrah!  The third fell was a short walk to High Raise and then fell four was Kidsty Pike.  Neither involved too much exertion and we all kept chatting and enjoying the day.  

On the summit of High Street - Eating Chocolate Brownies!
Chocolate Brownie & Custard
The main event for the day was High Street and we were hopeful that by the time we arrived the sun would have emerged.  Such optimists!  Off we set and after a while I saw the group in the front stop at a cairn.  “Is that the summit?”  I asked hopefully.  No – sadly not.  Just a cairn on the path.  So I took a deep breath and carried on up the slope.  It was wet and boggy so I found the going quite tiring.  It fell to Ray to wait for me but eventually we made it to the summit (still misty) and the prize for arriving – chocolate brownies!  Yippee!  Better still Gary and Alan had brought hot custard in flasks so with plastic bowls and spoons passed around, all 15 of us sat on the summit of High Street eating chocolate brownies and custard!  We must have been a sight to behold and I think this is probably a first for the Lake District fells (although I believe they have apple pie and custard on Everest so I think it is a trend that could be set).  If word keeps spreading of Gina’s chocolate brownie walks then we all agreed we would need a helicopter drop to bring everything up!

I left the walk at this point as my mission later in the day was to take a friend’s family to Blackmoss Pot, a plunge pool in the Langstrath Valley in Borrowdale.  So I headed back down around The Knott and to Hayeswater.  I was a little late so I decided to attempt a spot of fell-running.  After all, the path was good and there was no one around.  This was a mistake.  I started off well but I am not a natural runner (I seem to have too many legs and arms) and after a few minutes (which I was impressed I managed) I tripped over a rock and fell forwards.  After a quick check to make sure no one had seen, I picked myself up, brushed down my dignity and reverted to walking.  Much safer!

Blackmoss Pot
A couple of hours later I was walking the path to Blackmoss Pot with three adults, two children and Tully the Lurcher.  The sun had come out and the valley was beautiful.  Blackmoss Pot is a natural deep plunge pool on the Langstrath Beck.  It is surrounded by rocks and in the middle of the valley.  If you did not know it was there you could easily miss it.  I was the first in (wearing trousers and a t-shirt as it was so cold) sliding gracefully (well almost gracefully) into the pool and was followed quickly by the children.  I got out swiftly after a minute or two to find the warm sunshine!  The children were braver than me – wearing swimming costumes and jumping in!  It was really cold though so our swim did not last long and then we got changed and made our way back along the valley.

Tully
Ten miles on the group walk in the morning (thanks Gina for arranging it and Ray for planning the route) and a further five miles in the afternoon.  A great day ending with having dinner cooked for me and a large glass of prosecco.  Perfect.
Follow Heelwalker1 on Twitter

16 comments:

  1. It was a great day Tanya , who would believe we eat brownies & hot custard on a fell top. Lol
    Convenient that you fell while no on around to take a pic :D. Dave fell on steep section back to car park , but was behind me so no pic!
    Can't wait for next walk , Haystacks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great day.... I always try to ensure I fall when no one else can see me - not always achieved though so keep the camera ready!
    I will look forward to Haystacks!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy you doing all this walking for me - pleased you survived so you can tell a tale another day! Seeing deer in the countryside is like seeing dolphins at sea - one of those really special things that you can't buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I have seen deer on the fells. You are right - it is like seeing dolphins at sea. Happy to keep doing the walks for you if you keep writing and speaking your PIGY series :-)

      Delete
  4. High Street is a wonderful ridge to discover, but I have not done this route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been on the High Street for many years so it was great to revisit it even though it was misty. I did get a view of Haweswater on the way down as well :)

      Delete
  5. What a great tale! I really enjoyed reading your story and it makes me want to return to the lakes very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I am lucky to be here for a year. I love it :)

      Delete
  6. Bravo Tanya. Another great tale.

    What a truly great idea to take hot custard in a flask up a fell.

    I was also interested to read about the natural plunge pool at Blackmoss Pot. I would like to see that.

    Tully is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Chloe :-)
    Blackmoss Pot is a really great place. It was great to find it and you would love it :-)
    Tilly is still my favourite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ray GreenhowAugust 28, 2012

    Pleased of the company and I did feel soory for anyone wanting to use the carpark as we filled it. One of those walks where the sun is about to get out but never actually does, but a great walk in company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun kept promising views but never quite delivered. I did see Haweswater as I came back down High Street to The Knott but only a glimpse... Good company means it doesn't really matter about views though :-)

      Delete
  9. Another good read...do enjoy your blog. I'm adding the plunge pool to my places to visit list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce :)
      You should definitely give the plunge pool a try. Fab place if a little chilly!

      Delete
  10. A super walk Tanya, can't believe you had to rush back for another one later on and a swim in a freezing pool. I would have been shattered! I never know how fell runners seem to fly over the ground and not break their necks! Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill!
      I have new respect for fell runners that is for sure...
      The pool was freezing - the children stayed in much longer than me :-)

      Delete